First meeting, first thoughts: Political action and campaigning …
- Link with Nottingham Kurdish Solidarity Campaign
- The focus will be on what other Governments are doing to Kurds, particularly at this time:
- Kurds in Syria are living in a society created during these troubled times, which has brought relative peace and democracy in the midst of chaos. They have put together a model of organisation that could be rolled out across the Middle East. This model accommodates all who share their common values.
- Turkish State has objected to Kurds having a seat at the table in Geneva with the UN in discussions to find a solution for the situation in Syria, and other countries have accepted that.
- Turkish State is leaving some towns in Turkey looking as damaged as parts of Syria where it has bombed its own civilians
- Target UK Government
- Link with Kurdish groups and others like Nottingham Kurdish Solidarity Campaign – who share the aim of empowering Kurds so that they can live in their homelands without being constantly oppressed because of their race.
- Bring together people in Leicester who will work together and campaign for change in the way the Kurds are viewed by the international community
- Raising money to pay for room hire, speakers’ expenses for conferences etc:
- Just holding a collection
- Meetings would be best on a Sunday around 4pm because that is when Kurds are more likely to be around.
- Banners: what to write
- Stop the War on Kurds
- Stop Turkish State War on Kurds
- What languages:
- Turkish, English
- Use wallpapers for a long banner
- We are keen on a conference but we need to build some interest first
- What would the focus be
- Where would we hold it
- Ask if we can bring the theme for the Leicester Against War vigil at the Clock Tower on a Friday 5.30 – 6.30pm
We will try to contact Uni students